Monday, July 2, 2007

Nha Trang, Vietnam (June 25 - July 3)

So we have been here for a long time, but we are relaxing in the beach side life and even achieved our SSI certification as open water scuba divers!! So its not like we are just laying around, that was hard work. We really had no idea what kind of skill was involved in diving until we were 18m down on the floor of the ocean. We did the 3 day course with Adrienne and her boyfriend Brian arrived a few days later and we have been having a blast experiencing all the restaurants in town and playing crib. Went out for bellinis on Canada Day where a local bar had a Canada Day party. Unfortunately, there we met a very embarrassingly drunk 19 year old from Ottawa who just graduated from high school and is now representing Canada. The beach is across the street from our hotel, so that is nice, but everywhere we go we are relentlessly harassed by locals desperately trying to sell books, postcards, paintings and pretty much anything else. We still can't figure out why they think selling heavy books to backpackers is a good idea.

So tomorrow we are headed to Hoi An, where we have splurged ($32 a night!) and are staying at a resort hotel with a private beach. Remember how we were spotting cockroaches everywhere (as you do)? Well that was all fine and good until Tawnya ended up with one crawling on her in her bed at 3am. After a vengeful murder of the creepy thing, it took a while for us to calm down which made our 6:30am start pretty terrible. But hey, what worse things could happen now? Worst fears confronted and conquered! Jodi awoke to a horrific scream and thought Tawnya was being murdered, so we suppose a little bug was no big deal. The room itself is huge and very clean, so this guy was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time and we have seen no others.

Age and Brian have just returned from their motorcycle riding and we are going out for supper on the beach again at the Nha Trang Sailing club. It is pricey for here but still cheaper than home and has incredible food. A lot of the other places in town have really bland westernized food so this place is a huge treat. Really though this country is ridiculous as you can live like royalty for next to nothing. For example, we had a 1 hour full body massage in a super nice spa yesterday for $12. You can get them cheaper but this place was wicked. Literally head-to-toe and even a belly rub! The best thing was that the little man's hands did not wander and they were very professional (we have heard other stories).

So that is life on the coast of Vietnam, can't really complain, but even so, we do realize how lucky we are to live in Canada. It has been great having Adrienne and Brian here, we have not felt homesick at all and it is exciting to have new people to talk to!!









One of many dinners with Age and Brian.







View from our hotel




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Ladies,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Asian delights. You'll regret not getting the "happy ending" later. Isn't it awesome when you see that beer is cheaper than Coke?

I'm back from Europe now. I had a blast and got a good tan (40C everyday). We partied like rock stars for Canada Day, and now I'm relaxing and dreading going back into the office tomorrow. Wedding is under a month away!!! Craziness.

ALEK.

Anonymous said...

Hey ladies....

So Mekong Delta eh?! Like it like... yup it is definitely a scene out of a movie & the city is one big cluster fuck of bikers & honking horns. INSANE!!
I have no doubt you will walk away from this & so happy you went for an adventure. I didn't really appreciate it until I got home & then I think about it now more.

Things here.... well Happy Canada Day! They have been busy. The weather has been better & is suppose to get nice which its about time as summer will soon be over.
There is a lot more going on but I will save that for a facebook email...
I am happy to see pics & to know you are both well.
You are thought of often....

C
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi and Tawnya, Happy Birthday Canada. Just got back from the lake. The fireworks there were the most they have ever had, I didn't think they were going to stop. Poor Sydney, she was freaking out from them. Relaxation and a few beverages and hot hot weather. Getting antsy to travel,(does Slave Lake count as traveling??) Haven't had a phone call lately?? They must have phones in Vietnam??? Love Mom K.

jahrig said...

Hey Tawn!
Just want to let you know you rock! (goes without saying). When Kim and I go on vacation next summer I'll definitely be asking you for tips! P.S. I work tomorrow and will be pissed about the whole day just thinking of the great time you gals are having! LOL
-_-
cheers!
Jordan

Anonymous said...

Jodi & Tawnya

Where the heck is Aunty Lorraine??
Sorry, have been out of sorts; dyeing in pain as I counted down the days until I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Finally had it done a week ago today. Am slowly recovering with just a bit of a sore mouth especially towards the end of the day. Too much talking I quess. Celebrated my "32nd" birthday yesterday in fine fashion and got spoiled by all the kids, grandkids and Uncle Josh too! 2 large bouquets of flowers, a nice new outdoor patio set and birthday cake. Your mom also brought me a delicious piece of cheese cake at lunch yesterday. Robyn finally seen the nuroligist and although she can't remember what the doctor called it she may have a slight problem with her thyroyd (opps - spelling!!). Her mri turned out normal but they are rechecking her blood. She will return to the doctor in the next little while too see if it is bad enough for meds or if they will wait it out for a bit. I think I should probably go with her (if she will let me) so that we can ensure that we know what is going on. She is much better. Uncle Josh and I are planning on starting our holidays next Thursday - July 12. We will head up to Carson Lake for a week before hitting the big Slave Lake bash. Time has been flying by so quickly we can hardly believe it is already July and you have been gone for almost 3 months. I can't find the latest pictures you say are below. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm somewhat envious of the delicious looking food you have been eating. You both look great (healthy and happy) in your pictures. Jodi I've been thinking of both you and grandma a lot lately and miss you lots. Continue to take good care of each other, be good, and stay safe.
Love ya lots!!!

Aunty Lorraine
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Jodi

Just me again. Just opened up my email and saw your birthday wishes and now I'm crying. I think Uncle Josh thinks I lost my mind.

Love you lots

Aunty Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Hi gals
We have been busy busy getting ready for Dad's dig bash it should be a nice day. I picked up a funny tee shirt today for him. I sure wish you could be here --we will be missing you. Enjoyed your phone call the other day--you will have to repack with a brand new wardrobe after leaving "tailor city". Sounds like you are enjoying your time with Adrienne & Brian. Bye now
LuL & miss you
MOM V

Anonymous said...

Hey girls, I'm glad to here your still having fun, miss you lots, keep the blogs coming, I look forward to them.
Take care, Melissa